Saturday, May 7, 2011

On the road

     As I post this, I am on the way out the door for a day long trip to Washington, D.C.  We have just over fifty young people and adults from our three parish Junior Youth Ministry trekking to DC to visit the Franciscan Monastery of the Holy Land of America as well as the National Holocaust Museum.  Every Spring we pilgrimage somewhere inspiring (two years ago we were at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in DC ... and last year we went to Emmittsburg, Maryland, to the Shrine of Elizabeth Seton and to the Grotto at Mt. St. Mary College and Seminary).

     I have never been to the Franciscan Monastery, but I hear that it is a beautiful and prayerful place to visit with various depictions of Holy Land scenes as well as those from the life of Francis.  We will celebrate Eucharist at the Chapel there.  I'll update you on our return.  I have been to the Holocaust Museum, and it is and will be for our group a most profound experience of the inhumanity of human beings one to the other.  Sobering as it is, it serves as a necessary reminder of what can happen if we forget who we are in Christ.  Sister Charlene from our staff and Mary Blyth of Saint Agnes have planned the trip.  Pray for our safe return.

     My being away on a Saturday evening allows me to express my deep gratitude and appreciation for our retired priests who are willing to help out.  In our case we welcome Father James Bump to our 4:00 pm Mass.  He is a great priest who has retired too young, but who keeps himself very busy helping out and taking care of his animals (Father Jim is a farmer - cows and chickens).  He has served this Diocese well in a variety of positions, serving in a number of parishes that still sing his praises.  He succeeded me at All Saints in Masontown and I can tell you that they loved and still love him there.  Say a prayer for Father Bump and all of our retired priests who have earned their rest after many years of dedicated service.

No comments:

Post a Comment