Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Difficult Choices

     We all have choices to make in our lives.  On occasion they are easy, but more often than not they are difficult.  I am in the process of making two determinations that are far from easy.

     The first involves a scholarship awarded to a graduating High School Senior from each of the three local parishes. There are criteria established for the decision to be made.  From our parish we had four applications.  My task was to review the info submitted and to select the awardee.  I sought the assistance of a few others, but the decision was mine.  The problem is that all of the kids are great, they are involved in the parish, and they have great plans for the future.  I have made my choice, and will this morning be sending notifications to the applicants.

     The second involves the hiring of a new staff person for the parish.  I have three applicants, all of whom are qualified, all of whom are great people, and all of whom want the position.  But I can only hire one.  That decision must be made by the end of the week, and it is a difficult one.

     So, you look at the people involved, you look at their qualifications, you look at who might best suit the circumstances, and you pray.  Yours truly does not like to offend or disappoint anyone, and yet, it is inevitable.  Say one for me as I made this important decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment