Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

     Today is Memorial Day in this great nation of ours.  It is a day that allows us to REMEMBER - to honor the men and women who over the years have gave their last full measure of devotion to the cause of freedom and security, those who have died in defense of this nation and the greater cause of freedom in the world.  It was called "decoration day" because it was an opportunity to decorate the graves of the veterans.  At the Irwin/North Huntingdon parade and service this morning I mentioned that the day was about the wisdom and the blessing of remembering.  We expand that celebration to include all veterans who have died, and by extension, all of those who have and do serve.

     Memorial Day has always been special for me.  I enjoyed the parades and the flags, the "day off" and the picnics (at least until they moved the holiday to the nearest Monday).  But the 30th was the day.  The reason was that that was the day I entered into this world back in 1947.  Memorial Day was a memorable day for my mom and dad.  On this 64th birthday, I marvel at how quickly time has flown.  I rejoice in the love that has come my way over these years.  I thank God for his countless blessings.

     I have included a picture that may bring a smile - me at 2 months.  Boy, was I cute then - not sure what has happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment