Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Laundry day

     As a priest, there are times when we are spoiled.  One example is found in the fact that the parish takes care of having someone clean the rectory and do the laundry.  In fact, today is Debbie's day to do just that for me, and I am truly grateful.  The days of full time housekeepers/cooks is something of the past, though.

     I mention this because in Isaiah the prophet this morning we heard the admonition to wash ourselves clean ... to deal with our mess ... to set things right.  Sunday we heard in the transfiguration account that Jesus' garments became dazzlingly white, whiter than any fuller could bleach them.  Today we are reminded that though our sins be like scarlet, they will become white as snow.   With the understanding that "cleanliness is next to godliness", how is it that our bath  fully cleanses us, that our laundry be pure and white, with no tell tale signs of wear or tear or of dinginess?  The answer is also stated in Isaiah: "Make justice your aim: redress the wronged, hear the orphan's plea, defend the widow."  We need to remind ourselves of this truth for the laundry day of our lives to be effective.

     Obviously I have done laundry before ... I'm not totally helpless.  However, if it were not for Debbie and my sister Janie, my clothes would be a lot more dull and dingy.  They help me look presentable and good.  The Lord, through his Church - through each other - does the same for us.  And Lent is the reminder that now is the time to take care of the laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment