Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lift Jesus higher

     Understandably, since it is the season of Lent, we have heard a number of references in the daily readings to the lifting up of the bronze serpent at the time of Moses and Jesus' reference to that image in regard to himself.  This morning was another of those references in the readings from Numbers and from John.

     I remember as a child hearing the praise song

"Lift Jesus higher,
lift Jesus higher,
lift him up for the world to see.
He said if I be lifted up
from the earth
I will draw all men unto me."

     We used to sing that in our praise time when I was involved in the Charismatic Renewal.  It is a beautiful and simple song that expresses what Jesus says in today's gospel

"When you lift up the Son of Man,
then you will realize that I AM."

     Seeing is believing, they say.  Seeing him lifted up on the Cross, may our Faith be strong in his power and glory as God.  And may we always be one with him in glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment